If only the Europa league were the Premier League… That’s all I kept thinking to myself during this match. Now I know that this Russian team really isn’t very good, but we played fantastic. We looked strong in the back, menacing up front and we played with flair and style. This is the Spurs I’ve been desperately wanting to see all season! After a 4 -1 victory today we took the maximum amount of points from the group stage of the Europe League.
Naughton — Capoue — Fryers — Rose
Dembele — Holtby
Lamela — Siggy — Townsend
- Soldado scored his first hat-trick in a Spurs shirt! His first two goals were beautiful and his third was a penalty kick. However, to his credit the keeper guessed the right direction and the Spaniard’s shot was nothing short of perfection. Not only did he score, but he was far more involved with build up play and hustling all over the field to get balls. I think benching him for Defoe has lit a fire under his ass and I’m excited to see him build off this clear MOTM performance.
- Holtby’s goal was a thing of beauty, I could watch it all day long. This little German grows on me all the time.
- Honestly I could write something positive about everyone on the pitch today. Our wingers were great, Gylfi played well in the CAM spot, Dembele was an absolute beast in the midfield and Fryers/Capoue were both capable CB’s.
- Rose and Eriksen both played parts of this game which was very encouraging to see them back in the squad from their injuries. Eriksen’s got a nice beard now which makes him look more like a viking and Rose played decent the first half. Some kid named Fredricks came in at RB for Rose at half and he looked great so congrats to him on a stellar Spurs debut. He was the one taken down for the penalty too!
- I would also like to mention Friedel in this post. He had a fantastic match with some great saves and I’m very happy to have him as our backup.
- The only real negative I saw is Townsend shooting the ball. He’s brilliant at beating people down the wing, but he had an unforgivable miss one on one with the keeper, plus some other horrendous shots.
Soldado Goal #1 – 7′
Soldado Goal #2 – 16′
Holtby Goal – 54′
Soldado Goal #3 (p) – 69′ - Don’t have a GIF of this one yet…